We will be using a virtual machine image running Linux 2.6 kernel using
the Debian distribution. This
will run using the freely-available VirtualBox software.
Each virtual machine includes the source code for Operating System Concepts and Operating System Concepts Essentials.
Obtaining Virtual Box
and click on the download tab.
Download the virtualbox platform packages for your appropriate
system and install the software.
We are providing two separate approaches for installing the Linux VM:
(1) As a VirtualBox appliance, and (2) as a disk image. For most users,
we recommend installing it as a virtualbox appliance.
Installation as a VirtualBox Appliance
Click here to download the file OS-Concepts.ova
Double-click on the downloaded file. This will open the following window
Choose the Import button.
Proceed to Running Linux
Installation Using a Virtual Machine
Click here to download the file debian-cmpt352.vmdk.zip
(zip) [ Best for those on OS X
Click here to download the file debian-cmpt352.7z
(7zip) [ Best for those on Windows
Extract the zip file to debian-cmpt352.vmdk
Installing the Virtual Machine
1. Click on the button New
2. This will open a virtual machine wizard for creating a new virtual
3. Give your virtual machine a name. The operating system type is Linux, and it is a Debian distribution.
4. Choose the default value for base memory size
5. Click on the radio button for using an existing hard disk (this is debian-cmpt352.vmdk)
6. Click on the button for navigating to the location of debian-cmpt352.vmdk
7. Click Create.
Highlight the virtual machine you wish to run (OS-Concepts) and click
on the Start button:
This will commence the Linux boot process.
The default username is os and
the password is os as well
There is a root
user and the password is cmpt351
and click Shutdown
There are no graphical development tools built-in. Rather, you will
have to use a command line
-> Accessories -> Terminal
where you will find gcc, our C compiler.
There is also an editor - gedit
-> Accessories -> gedit Text Editor
However this is a text editor only. You can use it to edit your C
files, yet you will have to compile it using the command line.