Bittersweet

(Solanum dulcamara)

Warning! Poisonous!

Important ID's

  • Simple arrowhead shaped leaves or compound arrowhead shaped leaves (three leaflets; one large and two small)
  • Inconspicuous yellow-green flowers
  • Billiant red berry clusters

 

Animal Use

  • These berries are not harmful to birds, who eat them in abundance and spread the large pits across the landscape

 

First Aid (for ingestion)

  • Call Poison Control
  • Induce vomiting
  • Follow up with fluid replacement

 

Bittersweet berries (and the rest of the plant including roots) contain a digitalis-like toxin called evomonoside. Symptoms of poisoning occur 10-12 hours after ingestion and include: watery diarrhea, persistant and often violent vomiting, weakness, hallucinations, convulsions and coma. While being potentially dangerous it is not known to be fatal.

Home - Back - Next